We work with burn and smoke inhalation survivors and their families to provide support and hope in their journey of recovery. Additionally, we strive to prevent injuries and deaths from occurring through community education and outreach.
Burns Recovered began in 1983 with a group of volunteers from a hospital burn unit in St. Louis, MO reaching out to support burn survivors. Since that time, the organization has been expanding its services to include:
- Individualized and group peer support for burn survivors throughout the state of Missouri.
- Midwest Children’s Burn Camp (MCBC), which provides unique summer camp experience for children who have survived severe burns and smoke inhalation.
- The Changing Times retreat, which focuses on the special needs of young adult burn survivors, ages 18-25.
- Housing support for families during the hospitalization of a burn survivor.
- A scholarship fund for burn survivors.
- A holiday giving program for burn survivors and their families.
- An outreach program geared towards schools, senior communities and community organizations focused on preventing burn injuries.
Today, Burns Recovered continues to offer all of these programs, and is continually investigating new and innovative ways to serve our client base.